International students receive scholarships to study in Ireland from various government sources, higher education institutes, NGOs and private organisations wishing to provide financial and funding support.
Tuition costs at universities in Ireland average between €15,000-30,000, whereas living costs in Ireland are an estimated €7,000-12,000 per year. Full scholarships to study in Ireland are provided to eligible international students to cover tuition and living expenses but often depend upon the choice of course and the specific institution. Universities in Ireland and various Irish government programmes also help students get substantial scholarships on tuition fees.
For detailed information on available scholarships and their eligibility requirements, arrange a free consultation with SI-Ireland today. As the authorised Ireland university consultant, our counsellors will guide you in choosing the right course and university in Ireland and help you apply for scholarships.
Scholarships in Ireland for International Students
The major intake at Irish universities is in September. International students who wish to apply for scholarships to study in Ireland should begin the application process as early as 10-12 months in advance. The criteria for awarding scholarships differs between universities, and students should check directly with the university before applying.
The government of Ireland is taking special measures to increase the number of non-EU students in Ireland by providing financial assistance. International students can also apply under such national programmes, which offer a full waiver on tuition fees and scholarships up to €10,000 for living expenses to study in Ireland. To apply for such scholarships, students need to have an offer for a full-time taught master's programme from an Irish university.
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme awards excellent scholarships to students with pioneering proposals for research in emerging and innovative fields. Research expenditure and a contribution to non-EU fees are also made under this programme.
Several bilateral agreements have been signed between various countries and the Irish government, paving the way for many scholarships for students worldwide wanting to study in Ireland. These scholarships provide substantial financial assistance to students and cover the basic cost of studying and living in Ireland.
Major Scholarships in Ireland for International Students
Listed below are some of the major scholarships available to Indian students to study at universities in Ireland.
- Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship: This is one of Ireland's most prestigious scholarship programmes that supports outstanding students pursuing research-based postgraduate studies. Administered by the Irish Research Council, it aims to attract high-calibre individuals across various disciplines by funding fees, stipends, and research-related expenses.
- Irish Research Council Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme: A competitive initiative that has been designed to support exceptional candidates pursuing master's or doctoral research in Ireland. The Irish Research Council administers this scholarship and funds scholars across diverse disciplines.
- Fulbright Scholarships: The Fulbright Scholarships provide Indian students with the opportunity to study in Ireland through an exchange programme that fosters cultural understanding and academic collaboration.
- Maynooth University Sports Scholarships: This scholarship programme recognises and supports talented athletes pursuing higher education at the university. Recipients who have excelled in various sports receive financial assistance, specialised training support, and access to top-notch facilities at Maynooth University.
- J.E. Cairnes School of Business & Economics Scholarships: The J.E. Cairnes School of Business & Economics at the University of Galway offers various scholarships to support students' academic pursuits. These scholarships are designed to reward excellence in business and economics disciplines and may cover tuition fees and living expenses or provide additional financial support to deserving candidates.
- Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships Programme: This scholarship programme provides financial support to high-achieving international students pursuing undergraduate and postgraduate studies in Ireland.
- The Walsh Fellowships is one of Ireland's most prominent research-focused scholarship initiatives. It is specifically administered by Teagasc – the Agriculture and Food Development Authority. It offers opportunities for individuals interested in pursuing agricultural and food research by giving them a grant of €22,000 annually.
- Naughton Scholarships: These scholarships support exceptionally talented students pursuing science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) degrees. Established by the Naughton Foundation, these scholarships typically provide financial support for undergraduate and postgraduate studies, covering tuition fees and offering additional allowances.
- UCD Global Excellence Scholarship: Being a prestigious award offered by University College Dublin, it is given to outstanding international students across various disciplines.
- Jim Kemmy India Scholarship- This is a specific scholarship programme for Indian students by the University of Limerick. Aimed to attract undergraduate students, this scholarship is available for candidates who study in the Kemmy Business School to pursue a BA in International Business and a Bachelor of Business Studies.
Study in Ireland
Book a free consultation with SI-Ireland today to start your application process for admissions to the September intake at Irish universities and apply for scholarships with the assistance of trusted university partners.
Does Ireland give full scholarships to international students?
Although Ireland offers scholarships to international students, full scholarships covering all expenses, including tuition and living costs, are relatively rare. However, some organisations provide merit-based scholarships to cover all the costs of studying in Ireland for students with strong academic backgrounds and research proposals.
Who is eligible for the Ireland Government Scholarship 2024?
Students from all countries having proficiency in English and a first-class or upper-second-class honours bachelor’s degree can apply for studying postgraduate programmes through the Ireland Government Scholarship 2024.
How competitive is the Government of Ireland scholarship?
The Government of Ireland scholarship is competitive as the seats might be limited, and applicants worldwide can apply. The candidates must also have a strong academic record to be eligible for the scholarship, making it even more competitive.
What are the best scholarships available to international students from India studying in Ireland?
Some of the most prominent scholarships for international students from India to study in Ireland are:
- Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship
- Fulbright Scholarships
- Centenary Scholarships
- Maynooth University Sports Scholarships
- J.E. Cairnes School of Business & Economics Scholarships
- Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships Programme
- The Walsh Fellowships
- Naughton Scholarships
- UCD Global Excellence Scholarship
- Smurfit Business School Scholarships
- Kemmy Business School India Scholarship