Ireland is an increasingly popular study abroad destination for international students who wish to study in a world-renowned university amidst natural beauty and have great job opportunities in the growing IT sector. For international students who wish to have a career in the rapidly evolving world of information technology, a degree in computer science from a top-ranked university is a must.
According to the QS World University Rankings 2023, six Irish universities are ranked in the world's top 500 for computer science and information systems, an incredible statistic for a country of Ireland's size. Ireland is also one of the major global hubs of the IT industry, with many big technology companies like Google, HP, Facebook, Paypal, and IBM having offices in the country. As the Irish government provides two years of post-study work permits, students can work in the country and start their illustrious IT careers. The Irish Times reports that computer science graduates from the best universities in the country earn between €25,000-45,000 per year, which is more than the graduates from many other fields of study.
Are you interested in studying computer science at the best universities in Ireland? Book a free consultation with SI-Ireland to learn more about the application process and other relevant information.
Top Five Computer Science Degrees in Ireland
Find the top five universities in Ireland that provide the best computer science degrees according to the QS World University Rankings by Subject in Computer Science and Information Systems 2023 below.
TCD offers undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral computer science programmes through the School of Computer Science and Statistics. The school is top-ranked in Ireland and among the top 100 worldwide universities, as per the QS Subject Rankings. Students can take up study options to pursue computer science degrees in a vibrant environment that encourages research and innovation. The school also actively engages with industry partners to deliver research output to solve commercial challenges.
- Suggested course: MSc Computer Science- Data Science
- International fees: €26,989
- Entry requirements: Applicants must hold an upper second-class honours degree in Computing or a related field and showcase proficiency in the English language.
- Faculties: School of Computer Science and Statistics
- Campus: Dublin
UCD is the largest Irish university in terms of students, and the same applies to the UCD School of Computer Science, which is again the most prominent computer science institution in the country, with more than 1,000 students. The school offers a 4-year BSc Honours degree in Computer Science and has a Master's degree option for graduates from the subject and also conversion students. Apart from these programmes, the university also provides structured PhD programmes.
All courses at UCD cover the central principles of the subject, encompassing data science, programming and algorithm development. The programmes are taught through a research-led approach at the university, meaning that the teaching methods are updated through research conducted at the university.
- Suggested course: MSc Computer Science
- International fees: €29,100
- Entry requirements: Applicants must hold an upper second-class honours degree in computer science and showcase English proficiency.
- Faculties: UCD School of Computer Science
- Campus: Dublin
The School of Computing at DCU became the first of its kind school in Ireland, creating an impressive reputation due to its academic excellence and research focus. The school offers three undergraduate degrees: a BSc in Computer Science, a BSc in Data Science, and a BSc in Computing in Business. The university also offers a range of comprehensive and innovative graduate programmes in Fintech, Data Analytics, Artificial Intelligence and Secure Software Engineering. Students get the option to take up research activities as well, in a stimulating environment, particularly in the areas of data analytics, localisation, scientific computing, cloud computing and software engineering.
- Suggested course: BSc in Data Science
- International fees: €16,000
- Entry requirements: All applicants must hold educational qualifications equivalent to the Irish Leaving Certificate with a minimum grade of O2 or H6 in Mathematics. Non-native speakers require English language proficiency.
- Faculties: School of Computing
- Campus: Dublin
As an internationally recognised university, UCC has been offering exceptional educational programmes in the IT field through the School of Computer Science and Information Technology. Students can choose from undergraduate, postgraduate-taught and research-based programmes in various fields such as data science, data analytics, and digital humanities. The school encourages students to take interdisciplinary courses, some combining the principles of psychology, computing and information technology to give students an edge over other field graduates. The school also conducts internationally leading research for the benefit of the society.
- Suggested course: MSc in Computing Science
- International fees: €18,900
- Entry requirements: Applicants must hold a second-class honours degree in computer science or a closely related field and showcase proficiency in the English language.
- Faculties: School of Computer Science and Information Technology
- Campus: Cork
The School of Computer Science at the University of Galway is one of the largest academic disciplines in the university, with over 700 students pursuing undergraduate and postgraduate research and teaching programmes. They can choose from a range of options while taking up higher education in computer sciences at the university, including a BSc in Computing Science & Information Technology, a B.A. in Information Technology, an MSc in Software Design, an MSc in Data Analytics, and MSc in Artificial Intelligence among others. All the courses are taught with a good balance of theoretical and applied content to train the students. The university actively engages in research activities in areas like Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Medical Informatics, Image Processing and many other fields.
- Suggested course: BSc (Hons) in Computer Science and Information Technology
- International fees: €26,000
- Entry requirements: Applicants must have educational qualifications equivalent to the Irish Leaving Certificate with a minimum grade of O2 or H6 in Mathematics. Non-native speakers require English language proficiency of the language.
- Faculties: School of Computer Science
- Campus: Galway
Study Computer Science in Ireland
Begin your application with expert support by arranging a free consultation with SI-Ireland today.