Choosing the right course for undergraduate or postgraduate study is a challenging task that is of utmost importance in determining career prospects for a student. Because students have to repay their education loans and student debts, they are naturally interested in courses that offer great job opportunities with good salaries.
Various organisations such as the Bureau of Labour Statistics and the National Association for College and Employer collect, process and analyse student data to make career projections and help students make the right career choice. Listed below are the top ten degrees with the most job opportunities, according to a survey by the National Association for College and Employers (NACE).
Ten Degrees with Great Job Prospects
1. Computer Science
According to estimates by NACE, 70% of computer science graduates were offered a job before graduating from college. Computer Science graduates work in diverse fields, such as system analysts, software developers and programmers, data analysts, software design and security, artificial intelligence and hardware.
- Best university in Ireland for Computer Science: University College Dublin
- University College Dublin Computer Science course: BSc (Hons) Computer Science
Almost 61.5% of Economics graduates are in jobs after completing their degree. They find employment in banking, investment, and finance sectors, public sector and government agencies, natural treasuries, bureau of statistics, and Central Banks.
- Best university in Ireland for Economics: Trinity College Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin Economics course: MSc in Economics
3. Accounting and Finance
Accounting and Finance professionals work as investment analysts, chartered accountants, banking and financial advisors, tax advisors, and insurance brokers. An estimated 61% of accounting majors are offered jobs before they graduate.
- Best university in Ireland for Accounting: University College Cork
- University College Cork Accounting course: Accounting BSc
Engineering jobs offer some of the highest salaries to graduates, and, as per estimates by NACE, around 59% of engineering students easily find at least one job opportunity before graduating.
- Best university in Ireland for Engineering: University College Dublin
- University College Dublin Engineering course: BSc Mechanical Engineering
5. Business and Management
Business and management graduates are highly employable with placements offered by global companies in various fields, including organisational management, finance, human resource, marketing, communications, administration, consultancy and advertising.
- Best university in Ireland for Business: Trinity College Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin Business Administration course: Masters of Business Administration (Full-time MBA)
6. Sociology/Social Work
Sociology is another field with high employability ratios. Graduates typically find jobs based on their specialisations in many public and private sectors.
- Best university in Ireland for Sociology/Social Work: Trinity College Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin Sociology/Social Work course: Bachelor in Sociology and Social Policy
The demand for Mathematics graduates has increased across all sectors, from technology, data sciences, healthcare, finance and retail. High average salaries in the industry also complement this exponential growth in the job market for highly skilled maths professionals.
- Best university in Ireland for Mathematics/Statistics: University of Galway
- University of Galway Mathematics/Statistics course: MSc in Mathematics
Psychology majors have career options in various public and private sector roles such as human resources, marketing, social work, mental health care, psychotherapy, advertising, and teaching.
- Best university in Ireland for Psychology: Trinity College Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin Psychology course: MSc in Applied Psychology
9. Political Science
Political Science graduates find employment with higher education institutions, law firms, government agencies, banks, publishing companies, management consultancies, schools, television and radio broadcasters, retailers and accountancy firms.
- Best university in Ireland for Political Science: Trinity College Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin Political Science course: MSc in International Politics & BA (Hons) Ancient and Medieval History and Culture
Healthcare jobs are some of the most challenging, sought-after, well-paying jobs that are often highly specialised. Healthcare professionals work in the fields of medicine, nursing, pharmacy, dentistry, veterinary medicine and physiotherapy, for instance.
- Best university in Ireland for Healthcare: Trinity College Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin Healthcare course: MSc in Molecular Medicine
Study in Ireland
Are you interested in studying for one of the above degrees in Ireland? If so, arrange a free consultation with SI-Ireland today.